Saturday, March 9, 2013

Dinosaur BBQ

In honor of this weekend and how I was supposed to go to Syracuse to see a bunch of my friends from the field of Admissions, I figured now would be as good of time as any to blog about my experience at Dinosaur BBQ.

Tons of people have recommended this place because they know I like BBQ so there was a lot of hype around it.  At first glance I wasn't impressed.  The outside of the place in Syracuse looks like a weird shack/barn hybrid, but it did have some cool artwork on the outside seen below.


When did dinosaurs learn how to ride motorcycles?  And how come that girl isn't helping "Old Man Winter"?  Is she really just going to let him get attacked by that little dinosaur right in front of her?

And it looks like this same girl is serving all of these dinos... maybe run away instead?  I mean they're dinosaurs.  They're probably going to eat you after they eat the food your bringing them because they're dinosaurs.  Be a little smarter.


At least this dinosaur knows his place and is serving instead of eating.

Anyways, the inside of the place was nicer than the outside, but not by much.  In fact, it was really cramped and crowded because the place is so popular.  I'm pretty sure the place opened at noon and we got there at 11:59am and couldn't sit down anywhere but the bar.  No biggie there, but within 2 minutes of us sitting down there were 40+ people standing behind us waiting for a table or a spot at the bar to open up.

So to start my Dinosaur BBQ experience I sampled a few beers on tap.  Can I remember what they were?  Absolutely not, but I know they got better as I progressed through my flight.  I'd say beer was reasonably priced, but I didn't come for that.  I came for what's pictured below.


PULLED PORK.  Forget about that pool of gravy that you just want to drown yourself in.  Forget about that mac and cheese that had some crazy spices intertwined with it.  Forget about that corner piece of cornbread.  The pulled pork was off the chain.  It was so tender and juicy that it melted in my mouth.  After the first bite I knew why so many people came to this place and why so many people kept OPENING THE DAMM DOOR AND LETTING THE FREEZING COLD AIR IN.  The BBQ was delicious!  And props to Drew for sharing some of his BBQ Beef Brisket with me because that was fatty and delicious too.  I'd say the meat there was some of the best meat I've had at a BBQ place.

Going back to the sides, the cornbread was good, not great.  I don't think any cornbread can compare to the one at Spicy's on Long Island (which I will hopefully blog about later).  I ate my piece and then Drew's EXTRA ONE THAT HE GOT, but it could have been better.  The mac and cheese had this crazy spice to it that I've never tasted before.  No idea where it came from or how it happened, but it was so different that I loved it and hated it at the same time.  That's something that you just need to try and judge for yourself.  And let's not forget about the mashed potato swimming pool.  Next to the pulled pork, this was the best part of the dish.  I literally wanted to shrink down to a mini version of myself and bathe in it.  If I go back (when I go back), I plan on getting all of my sides as mashed potatoes with gravy because it was that good.

GO HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment