Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Original Buffalo Wing

This was more or less a coming home party for me because of how many wings I've inhaled over the years.  What you are about to lay eyes on is the tale of me going to the home of the original buffalo wing!  There was a ton of note worthy things that happened to me while visiting Buffalo, NY, but this is near the top of the list (nothing beats meeting the majority of the Bruins!!!!).

The outside of the place was nothing special, but at the same time it could of looked like a shack and I still would have been excited.  This is the home of the ORIGINAL BUFFALO WING aka my eyes saw a mansion instead of this barn looking building.  Knowing that I was about to feast on such a legendary treasure made my eyes tear up with joy.


Up first was a cup of buffalo chicken soup.  I saw it on the menu and had to ask about it.  Our waitress gave it a good review so my hands were tied and I had to order it.  Spoiler Alert here - this was the best part of the meal.  Not that the wings I'm about to talk about were bad, but this soup was amazing.  It had the right amount of heat mixed with creamy goodness mixed with chunks of tender chicken.  One of the best soups I have ever had to be honest.  The only soup that can hold its own in a toe to toe match up with this buffalo chicken soup would be a bowl of New England Clam Chowder, but I think the chowder would need to be in a bread bowl in order to beat it.  That's how highly I thought of this soup.  Top notch.


Then came the wings.  There were four of us so instead of us each ordering a dozen or whatever, we decided to get the biggest order they had which was a bucket of wings.  Kind of disappointed that the wings didn't come in a physical bucket, but they dumped roughly 50 of these bad boys on a pizza tray for us all to share.


Fontaine was clearly excited about them and rightfully so.  There were a ton of them and at the end of the day they were pretty damn good.  Tons of sauce, good amount of meat on the bones, and a nice pile for us to choose from.  But to be honest, they weren't anything special.  Would I eat them again?  Absolutely, but I doubt I'll ever get a craving for these particular wings.  I'd rather get an order of Kickin Buffalo Chicken Strips from Friendlys any day, but I'd also rather get that than most things in this world.  Overall I'd say the wings get a B to a B+ from me, but the experience of going there and having an original buffalo wing was an A- (due in large part to that soup).

And just because I took the picture and wanted to use it, take a look at this NO LOOK aerial shot I snapped:

1 comment: