Thursday, October 18, 2012

North Carolina Part 3

 
This is the final installment of my fantastic trip down south to North Carolina to take in the NASCAR race at Charlotte.  Again, what a phenomenal trip with great food, a cool race, and entertaining and overly nice people.  But it's time to get to it!  When I first landed I ventured into the heart of Charlotte at 2:00pm to get some down south BBQ.  You'd think whatever place we went to at two in the afternoon would be kind of cleared out, but not Mac's Speed Shop!


Mac's was also the place that had the fried pickles, but that was my appetizer for this meal and deserved a separate post.  Speaking of appetizers, I guess you could say I had two appetizers.  The guys I was with said we had to get the soup there.  I was taken back at first because down south eating to me means BBQ, BBQ, and more BBQ, but I agreed and ordered a soup as well.  Good thing I did because this is what was put in front of me:


Ask me what's in it and all I'll be able to say is that it was good and it had PULLED PORK IN IT.  Wow, this soup is delicious, but what can we add to make it better?  PULLED PORK.  Them putting pulled pork in the soup is like me putting bacon on everything I eat.  Not necessary, but it adds a nice lil somethin somethin to the soup.  Definitely a vegetable based soup with some nice texas toast on the side, but when I spooned up a big piece of pulled pork I almost cried.  I'll equate that feeling to the same feeling you get as a kid when you're pouring out cereal and the prize at the bottom of the box falls out in your bowl.  JACKPOT!!!  So that was a nice appetizer to go with my previous post of fried pickles, but let's take a look at the main course.


I'll pause momentarily so you can find a napkin or a paper towel to wipe the drool from your mouth.................. and good.  As amazing as that all looks, I ordered the "small" sampler.  The SMALL SAMPLER.  First off, I know that's a shock to anyone who knows me because I'd usually opt for the Large Platter, but I figured I'd take it easy since it was my first meal down there.  TO my surprise this hefty plate of meat and sides thumped down in front of me.  I almost did a separate blog of each of the sides because they were so good!


Cheddar Grits!  Come on now!  I can't even begin to describe the taste or even texture of these.  Just know they were bangin!


I mean if you're gonna twist my arm I guess I'll order the mac n cheese too!  Sidenote - I'm a HUGE fan of mac n cheese.  Anything from homemade mac n cheese to Kraft Mac N Cheese (shout out to the Spongebob Squarepants shapes and the Spirals) is delicious.  But this is how mac n cheese needs to be made from here on out.  You can't see it, but there was a layer of cheese melted on the top of the mac n cheese.  I made so many excited noises internally when I tried flipped the mac n cheese over and noticed everything was connected by cheese.  Such a happy moment in my life.  But enough about the sides, let's take a look at what I actually ordered for food.


Meat, Meat, Meat, and some MEAT.  We're talkin pulled turkey, pulled pork, beef brisket, and St. Louis style ribs.  What more can you ask for?  When I first learned that I was going down south I had a mission to find pulled pork, BBQ Beef Brisket, and ribs and I was able to eat all three and then some in one sitting.  One word keeps popping in my mind while I'm typing this up and it's "tender".  Everything was so tender and so easy to chew and eat.  They also had 4 different kinds of BBQ sauce at the table so it was great to mix and match sauces and meat.  My apologies about making your mouth water, but the world needed to know what I experienced.  The south treated me well and I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment